Solar PV Excite Training Course
Course Overview - Excite
Thinking of expanding your business into renewables? Not sure which information can be trusted? Thinking of having a solar system installed or even doing it yourself? Be informed with this short course.
This 2 day solar PV design-and-install course was created to address the need for people, organisations or small businesses that require information on sizing, assessing and the installation of solar PV Systems and can afford to commit an extra day to attend the 2 day course. The content is ideal for candidates that have little or no knowledge of electricity and have difficulty in growing a small business or is considering starting a small business.
All 2-day courses contain practical elements depending on the venue and group size. i.e, testing voltage and short-circuit current of modules, doing experiments with shading and partial shading of modules.
No formal pre-requisites are required in order to attend this course. Excitement about renewable energy and an eager mind will do. This course contains straight forward calculations.
The course is intended for a face-to-face learning environment and consists of approximately 200 slides, broken down into:
- Concepts / Principles
More detail of chapters are given elsewhere in this document and even more course structure detail can be provided on request down to 3-minute detail.
After having attended this course, students should have a clear understanding of the fundamentals of a solar PV system, including various components, brands, and functions of equipment.
In this 2-day course additional information and knowledge transfer allow candidates attending, to be able to:
- Differentiate or assess differences between what could potentially be good and poor quality equipment.
- Know how PV technologies differ and identify different technologies
- Know how storage technologies differ from an application point of view
- Know how storage technologies differ from a technology point of view
- Perform calculations relevant to the design of a system i.e. battery cost of energy equation, load calculation, power and energy calc, module string calculation, series and parallel calculation, temp co-efficient calc, volt drop, number of batteries required, nr of modules required.
- Understand the impact of heat on modules and size a string
- Know the basic differences in types of systems & applications
- Different types of inverters
- Available module technologies
- Terminating and connecting conductors
- Determine whether it is viable to go Off-grid or grid tied
- Combiner boxes, fuses.
- How to use and where to apply - Power vs energy
- Standards & electrical regulations applicable to solar PV and storage installations
- Safety with PV installations
- Candidates attending are given a PV Installation C.o.C spreadsheet
- Experience the touch and feel of different components as various samples are made available, to pass around.
- As an added bonus, we explore business development strategies such as, how and where to advertise, how and where to find work in the sector, gaining experience and how to become an electrician through Recognition of Prior Learning.
Interaction is promoted through continuous dialogue with questions and answers.
- Looking for a course that is either more or less advanced, please see www.pqrs.co.za
- Solar PV Excel is a 2 day course and covers design and installation of solar PV systems in more detail.
- Solar PV Express is a 1 day course and covers the basics of design and installation of solar PV systems for candidates with limited time.
Timing and Duration
Excite is a 2-day course and includes 8 x 90 minute sessions. 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Lunch is included in the cost of the course. Students receive a printed book with the slides. Books have sufficient space for taking notes. Courses are presented throughout SA, please enquire about when the next course will be presented in your region or take a look at our calender on the courses page.
Why not try a P4 contractor?
All P4 contractors have already passed an online knowledge assessment with an 80% pass rate.
List your installations at the PQRS directory at no charge.